Website Accessibility Statement
Virtual Virginia is committed to providing access to this website for visitors with differing needs.
Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act requires that individuals with disabilities have access to and use of information and data that is comparable to the information provided to visitors who are not individuals with disabilities, unless an undue burden would be imposed. Learn more about Section 508.
To honor this commitment and to adhere to Section 508 requirements, Virtual Virginia’s website is designed to be accessible by a variety of users with different needs. Moving forward, we will continually work to improve the website’s accessibility, usability, and readability. If you encounter a problem viewing or accessing any information on virtualvirginia.org, please contact Debbie Staughton at 866-650-0025. When contacting us by email, please indicate the nature of your accessibility problem, the preferred format in which you want to receive any materials, and your contact information.
About the Listen Function: ReadSpeaker webReader
With ReadSpeaker webReader, the content on a website can be read aloud to you. Just one click, and the text on a web page is simultaneously read aloud and highlighted so you can easily follow along, regardless of device or where you may be. This makes the content more accessible and visiting the website is a more enriching experience. As a user, you don’t have to download anything.
How does it work?
Activate webReader by clicking the Listen button.
webReader also allows you to:
- Select text and click the listen button in the pop-up menu that appears to have the selected text read.
- Hover over a paragraph of text to have it read out automatically.
- View a clutter-free version of the web page with text in your preferred font, size and color as it is read aloud and highlighted.
- Download an audio version of your content for offline listening.
- Translate a selected text to a number of languages and have the text read in the target language.
- Personalize reading speed, highlighting colors, and more.
- Select a word and find its definition in the dictionary.
Clear instructions on how to use each feature are provided in the Help Tool, which is found in the toolbar. Try reading through the Help Tool to pick up ideas on how to make optimal use of webReader’s features!
webReader can be activated, i.e. focus can be set on the Listen button, with the access key “K”. The access key “L” will set focus on the player and also start the reading. Many of the webReader tools and features also have a dedicated access key.
Access keys are activated with modifier keys, which differ depending on the browser and the operating system used (see list of modifier keys for different environments here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Access_key)
Inside the player and toolbar, i.e. when the user has set focus on the player, tab/shift+tab can be used to navigate and the enter key to activate a certain button or option.
- Put focus on Listen button: Modifier + K
- Activate webReader player: Modifier + L
- Open/close toolbar: Modifier + 1
- Open Help feature: Modifier + I
- Other access keys: see Help feature
webReader is best used with cookies enabled, as it will allow the user’s personal settings to be saved between sessions.
Platforms and web browsers
webReader is a device-independent and cross-platform solution. It should work with:
- All commonly used online devices: pc, laptop, Chromebook, tablet, smartphone, and more.
- All major operating systems: Windows, Chrome, Android, iOS, macOS, and more.
- All major browsers:
- for laptops and PCs: IE7+, Edge, Chrome, Firefox and Safari
- for mobile devices: Safari and Chrome on iOS devices, Chrome on Android devices, Chrome and Edge on Windows Phone
To learn more about ReadSpeaker, visit www.readspeaker.com