Job Opening No. 0515
Title: Technical Support Specialist
Note: There are currently 2 position openings with this title.
The Technology Support Specialist provides technical support for the technology, products, and applications used in Virtual Virginia’s (“VVA”) Complementary, Outreach, and Professional Learning programs. The Technology Support Specialist monitors and assists with the daily workflow of the HelpDesk, ensures a high-level end user experience, and supports administration of the learning management and student information systems. The Technology Support Specialist monitors servers on an on-call basis; maintains and monitors the application/system security; performs duties associated with maintenance of the database application.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Technology Support Specialist supports various program areas such as technology, registration, program solutions, and training by performing the following duties:
- Responds to communication received by phone and email with tact and professionalism.
- Routes technical inquiries to the appropriate VVA support departments.
- Provides technical support for VVA including the HelpDesk services, program support, FAQs, and tracking software during HelpDesk hours.
- Provides technical support to all participating schools, including virtual and face-to-face assistance, as well as to program faculty and staff to ensure response to end user issues within 24 hours of reporting.
- Offers assistance with the Learning Management System and Student Information System software to Virtual Virginia faculty and stakeholders through onsite and/or online training.
- Meets professional obligations through efficient work habits such as meeting deadlines, honoring schedules, coordinating resources and meetings in an effective and timely manner, and demonstrating respect for others.
- Assists the Technology Supervisor in preparing materials and in presenting materials to VVA employees.
- Assists the Technology Supervisor with the creation and setup of the course shells for all Virginia school divisions participating in the VVA Outreach Program.
- Responds to notifications and requests from program stakeholders.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Technology Supervisor and Program Engagement Coordinator.
- Completes training as required by the Technology Supervisor and Director of Program Engagement.
- Maintains regular contact with VVA employees and support staff.
- Supports VVA implementation of Quality Matters and the National Standards for Quality Online Learning.
- Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s Degree with a minimum of two years of experience in the Information and/or Educational Technology field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience required. Experience with educational institutions and distance learning course management software is desirable. Customer service and technical troubleshooting supporting users is required.
Minimum 2 yrs of experience in educational settings with experience in LMS and SIS systems preferred.
TECHNICAL COMPETENCIES AND RELATED SKILLS
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills.
- Reviews, classifies, prioritizes, and analyzes problematic situations.
- Exercises good judgment and discretion in determining solutions for faculty, student and stakeholder issues.
- Creates training documentation (e.g. learning guides, instructional videos) and conducts training to assist users.
- Develops, delivers, and supports project tasks in a self-sustained environment.
- Hardware: PC, Mac, computer peripherals, and networking equipment; OS: Windows and MacOS
- Software: Canvas, Studio, Microsoft Products, Web Browser Platforms, Zoom, Kayako, Genius, Maestro, SnagIt, Camtasia, Articulate 360, H5P, HTML, SQL
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Required: Valid Virginia driver’s license
WORK LOCATION: Virtual
SALARY INFORMATION: Commensurate with Experience
REVIEW DATE: 06/06/20
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.