Virtual Virginia’s 2020–2021 Expanded Enrollment Program is available to Virginia public school divisions participating in the Virtual Virginia Complementary Program. Virginia public schools now have the opportunity to secure enrollments in Virtual Virginia-instructed courses beyond the annual free enrollment allotment.
How does the Expanded Enrollment Program benefit students at my school?
For the 2020–2021 school year, Virginia public school may register free enrollments until Virtual Virginia reaches the statewide program allotment of 12,000 free enrollments. Once Virtual Virginia exceeds the allotment of 12,000 free enrollments, all enrollments can be served via the Expanded Enrollment Program. Please note that all free public school enrollments are on a first-come, first-served basis until the new cap is reached.
The Expanded Enrollment Program is designed to assist with:
- Filling open staffing needs
- Complementing local course offerings
- Expanding and diversifying local course offerings
- Meeting fluctuating annual enrollment needs
How does the Expanded Enrollment Program work?
If a school needs to register beyond the statewide program allotment of free enrollments, then that school may do so via the Expanded Enrollment Program. Each Virginia public school that chooses to participate in the Expanded Enrollment Program will also receive a per-student, per-course enrollment fee discount, based on the school division’s 2020–2022 LCI, off the Band III base enrollment fee, as referenced in the 2020–2021 Expanded Enrollment Fee Schedule below. (Find your school division’s LCI on this page of the VDOE website.)
2020–2022 Local Composite Index (LCI)
* Virginia private school, homeschooled, out-of-state, and international enrollments
Note: All Virtual Virginia free-allotment enrollments are provided on a first-come, first-served basis pending available openings in each course.
What are the steps a school should take to register beyond the statewide program allotment?
The Virtual Virginia course enrollment process remains the same, but there are a few additional steps to secure enrollments beyond the statewide program allotment of free enrollments). Enrollments over the free allotment will be added to the school’s “waitlist” for that course in the Virtual Virginia registration system subject to the discounted fees above.
To secure the enrollment of waitlist students, payment of the Expanded Enrollment Fee may be made by credit/debit card online or by check via invoice to the school division. Once online card payment is approved or a signed invoice/agreement is signed, the waitlist enrollments will be registered in the Virtual Virginia course.
Below are the instructions for registering enrollments as part of the Expanded Enrollment Program.
- To avoid delays: Before proceeding, finalize your enrollment choices at the local level. If you make enrollment changes after following the steps below, the process will restart and cause a delay.
- Register and enroll students in courses using the regular VVA enrollment process. Refer to the Registration & Enrollment page for instructions on registering, enrolling, and updating students in the VVA SIS.
- All enrollments beyond the statewide program allotment of 12,000 free enrollments will be placed on your school’s waitlist. To view your school’s waitlist in Genius, click the Affiliations tab and then click Waitlist Payment.
- Mark the checkbox for each student for whom you will complete enrollment and then click the Enroll button.
- (You may also withdraw waitlisted enrollments from this page by clicking on the Remove by Request button at the bottom of the page instead of the Enroll button.)
- Select your payment option from the dropdown selector.*
- If you select Credit Card, you will enter your payment information and complete payment online. If online payment is successful, the paid enrollments will be registered in the course.
- If you select Invoice, an invoice/agreement will be prepared and sent to you via email. Once the signed agreement is accepted and processed by Virtual Virginia, the enrollments will be registered in the course by VVA staff and an invoice will be sent by the Virginia Department of Education.
- Note: If you submit an invoice request, the enrollments you select will not be removed from your waitlist until a signed invoice is returned to Virtual Virginia. Do not submit another invoice request for these enrollments! These enrollments will be removed from your waitlist once an invoice is prepared.
*Please note: Enrollments are transferable but are NOT refundable.
Important: “Expanded” Enrollments Cannot Become Free Enrollments
Any enrollments made beyond the statewide program allotment of 12,000 free enrollments will be considered “expanded” enrollments and will require payment. Once an enrollment is considered an “expanded” enrollment, it is permanently an “expanded” enrollment and payment is required.
If you would like to schedule a webinar about the Expanded Enrollment Program for you and your staff, please complete this interest form.