Virtual Virginia’s 2020–2021 Expanded Enrollment Program is available to Virginia public school divisions participating in the Virtual Virginia Complementary Program. Virginia public schools now have the opportunity to secure enrollments in Virtual Virginia-instructed courses beyond the annual free enrollment allotment.
How does the Expanded Enrollment Program benefit students at my school?
Each Virginia public school may enroll up to 15 enrollments per VVA-instructed course with no enrollment fees during the 2020–2021 academic year. Each division will have local discretion to register enrollments. Note: All Virtual Virginia free-allotment enrollments will be provided on a first-come, first-served basis pending available openings in each course.
If a public school needs to register more than 15 enrollments in a 2020–2021 VVA-instructed course (or beyond the statewide program cap of free enrollments), participation in the Expanded Enrollment Program will allow them to do so, with discounted enrollment fees.
The Expanded Enrollment Program is designed to assist with:
- Filling open staffing needs
- Complementing local course offerings
- Expanding and diversifying local course offerings
- Meeting fluctuating annual enrollment needs
Will the Virtual Virginia enrollment process change?
No, for most public schools the VVA enrollment process will remain the same. The majority of Virginia public schools typically do not have enrollment needs in a single course beyond the free allotment of 15 enrollments. School counselors will continue to enroll students via the VVA Student Information System (SIS).
If a school needs to register more than 15 enrollments in any VVA-instructed course (or beyond the statewide program cap of free enrollments), then that school must do so via the Expanded Enrollment Program.
How does the Expanded Enrollment Program work?
If a school needs to register more than 15 enrollments in any VVA-instructed course (or beyond the statewide program cap of free enrollments), then that school may do so via the Expanded Enrollment Program. Each Virginia public school that chooses to participate in the Expanded Enrollment Program will also receive a per-student, per-course enrollment fee discount, based on the school division’s 2020–2022 LCI, off the Band III base enrollment fee, as referenced in the 2020–2021 Expanded Enrollment Fee Schedule below. (Find your school division’s LCI on this page of the VDOE website.)
2020–2022 Local Composite Index (LCI)
* Virginia private school, homeschooled, out-of-state, and international enrollments
For example, consider School A, which needs to register 10 enrollments in Physics I, 15 students in Trigonometry, and 65 students in Chinese I. School A’s LCI is .3954. Therefore, using the table above, we know that School A is in Band I, as its LCI of .3954 falls in the range .2000–.4999. This means that School A receives a discounted Expanded Enrollment Fee of $175 per enrollment (i.e., a discount of $200 off the base enrollment fee of $375).
Based on this information, School A will be able to enroll students as illustrated below.
Paid enrollments x Fee
Enrollment fees due
|0 x $175|
|0 x $175|
|50 x $175|
Because School A’s enrollment needs for Physics I and Trigonometry are 15 or less per course, no enrollment fee is charged. For Chinese I, the school needs 50 enrollments beyond the free allotment of 15 enrollments, so the school will only pay for these 50 “expanded” enrollments, at a discounted fee of $175 per student. Therefore, the school is able to meet its need of 90 total VVA enrollments at a total cost of $8,750.
Note: All Virtual Virginia free-allotment enrollments are provided on a first-come, first-served basis pending available openings in each course.
What are the steps a school should take to register more than 15 enrollments in a course?
The Virtual Virginia course enrollment process remains the same, but there are a few additional steps to secure enrollments beyond the free allotment of 15 enrollments (or beyond the statewide program cap of free enrollments). Enrollments over the free allotment will be added to the school’s “waitlist” for that course in the Virtual Virginia registration system subject to the discounted fees above.
To secure the enrollment of waitlist students, payment of the Expanded Enrollment Fee may be made by credit/debit card online or by check via invoice to the school division. Once online card payment is approved or a signed invoice/agreement is signed, the waitlist enrollments will be registered in the Virtual Virginia course.
Below are the instructions for registering more than 15 enrollments in a single VVA-instructed course (or beyond the statewide program cap of free enrollments), as part of the Expanded Enrollment Program.
- To avoid delays: Before proceeding, finalize your enrollment choices at the local level. If you make enrollment changes after following the steps below, the process will restart and cause a delay.
- Register and enroll students in courses using the regular VVA enrollment process. Refer to the Registration & Enrollment page for instructions on registering, enrolling, and updating students in the VVA SIS.
- All enrollments over the free allotment of 15 enrollments per course (pending space availability) will be placed on your school’s waitlist. To view your school’s waitlist in Genius, click the Affiliations tab and then click Waitlist Payment.
- Note: Choose only students marked “Affiliation Cap.”
- Mark the checkbox for each student for whom you will complete enrollment and then click the Enroll button.
- (You may also withdraw waitlisted enrollments from this page by clicking on the Remove by Request button at the bottom of the page instead of the Enroll button.)
- Select your payment option from the dropdown selector.*
- If you select Credit Card, you will enter your payment information and complete payment online. If online payment is successful, the paid enrollments will be registered in the course.
- If you select Invoice, an invoice/agreement will be prepared and sent to you via email. Once the signed agreement is accepted and processed by Virtual Virginia, the enrollments will be registered in the course by VVA staff and an invoice will be sent by the Virginia Department of Education.
- Note: If you submit an invoice request, the enrollments you select will not be removed from your waitlist until a signed invoice is returned to Virtual Virginia. Do not submit another invoice request for these enrollments! These enrollments will be removed from your waitlist once an invoice is prepared.
*Please note: Enrollments are transferable but are NOT refundable.
Important: “Expanded” Enrollments Cannot Become Free Enrollments
Once a school has registered 15 enrollments in a course, any additional enrollments (starting with the 16th enrollment) will be considered “expanded” enrollments and will require payment. If any of the first 15 free enrollments are dropped from the course, the “expanded” enrollments (starting with the 16th enrollment) will NOT become free enrollments. Once an enrollment is considered an “expanded” enrollment, it is permanently an “expanded” enrollment and payment is required.
For example, if School B registers 20 enrollments for Latin I, the first 15 are considered free enrollments and the remaining 5 are considered “expanded” enrollments. If 2 of the first 15 enrollments are withdrawn, NONE of the “expanded” enrollments will become free enrollments; they will remain “expanded” enrollments. School B will have 13 free enrollments and 5 “expanded” enrollments in Latin I.
If you would like to schedule a webinar about the Expanded Enrollment Program for you and your staff, please complete this interest form.