English 9 covers multiple types of literature from around the world: novels, short stories, epic poetry, and drama. Student writing will encompass narrative, expository, and persuasive forms for a variety of purposes and audiences, and emphasis will be placed on expanding vocabulary and proper grammar.
This course aligns with the Virginia Standards of Learning for English 9.
- English 8 and a passing score on the English 8 SOL (required)
Course Texts and Materials
For Summer Session 2021 only:
- The Other Wes Moore
- The House on Mango Street
- Other short stories, poems, fiction, and nonfiction (links will be provided in course if possible)
Starting August 2021:
- Eats, Shoots, and Leaves by Lynne Truss
- American, Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang
- The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
- Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson
Starting 2021–2022: Offered in two half-credit semesters.
- 01001 English 9 Sem 1 (0.5 cr)
- Full Year, Semester 1 (fall, 18 weeks)
- Fall Block, Semester 1 (early fall, 9 weeks)
- Spring Block, Semester 1 (early spring, 9 weeks)
- 01001 English 9 Sem 2 (0.5 cr)
- Full Year, Semester 2 (spring, 18 weeks)
- Fall Block, Semester 2 (late fall, 9 weeks)
- Spring Block, Semester 2 (late spring, 9 weeks)
Note: For Summer Session 2021, this course is offered as a single, 1.0 credit, 6-week course.