Mathematics for grade 7 continues to emphasize the foundations of algebra. The standards address the concept of and operations with rational numbers by continuing their study from grade 6. Students will build on the concept of ratios to solve problems involving proportional reasoning. Students also will solve problems involving volume and surface area and focus on the relationships among the properties of quadrilaterals. Probability is investigated through comparing experimental results to theoretical expectations. Students continue to develop their understanding of solving linear equations and inequalities in one variable by applying the properties of real numbers. Students discern between proportional and non-proportional relationships and begin to develop the concept of slope as rate of change.
This course aligns with the Virginia Standards of Learning for Mathematics, Grade 7.
- Mathematics 6 (required)
Course Texts and Materials
- All resources are provided within the course.
Starting 2021–2022: Offered in two half-credit semesters.
- 02037 Mathematics 7 Sem 1 (0.5 cr)
- Full Year, Semester 1 (fall, 18 weeks)
- Fall Block, Semester 1 (early fall, 9 weeks)
- Spring Block, Semester 1 (early spring, 9 weeks)
- 02037 Mathematics 7 Sem 2 (0.5 cr)
- Full Year, Semester 2 (spring, 18 weeks)
- Fall Block, Semester 2 (late fall, 9 weeks)
- Spring Block, Semester 2 (late spring, 9 weeks)
Note: For Summer Session 2021, this course is offered as a single, 1.0 credit, 6-week course.