Mathematics for grade 8 continues to build on the concepts needed for success in high school-level algebra, geometry, and statistics. Students will explore real numbers and the subsets of the real number system. Proportional reasoning is expounded upon as students solve a variety of problems. Students find the volume and surface area of more complex three-dimensional figures and apply transformations to geometric shapes in the coordinate plane. Students will verify and apply the Pythagorean Theorem, creating a foundation for further study of triangular relationships in geometry. Students will represent univariate and bivariate data and make predictions by observing data patterns. Students build upon the algebraic concepts developed in grades 6 and 7, which include simplifying algebraic expressions, solving multistep equations and inequalities, and graphing linear functions.
This course aligns with the Virginia Standards of Learning for Mathematics, Grade 8.
- Mathematics 7 (required)
Course Texts and Materials
- All resources are provided within the course.
Offered in two half-credit semesters:
- 02038 Mathematics 8 Sem 1 (0.5 cr)
- Full Year, Semester 1 (fall, 18 weeks)
- Fall Block, Semester 1 (early fall, 9 weeks)
- Spring Block, Semester 1 (early spring, 9 weeks)
- Summer Session, Semester 1 (first 3 weeks)
- 02038 Mathematics 8 Sem 2 (0.5 cr)
- Full Year, Semester 2 (spring, 18 weeks)
- Fall Block, Semester 2 (late fall, 9 weeks)
- Spring Block, Semester 2 (late spring, 9 weeks)
- Summer Session, Semester 2 (second 3 weeks)