Studying something as large and complicated as the Earth is quite an undertaking. In order to make it manageable, this course is divided into the scientific areas of geology, meteorology, astronomy, and oceanography. Each of these areas of study helps scientists understand the activity and make-up of our planet. In this course, students will use scientific methods and investigations to make each area of study applicable to their daily lives.
This course aligns with the Virginia Standards of Learning for Earth Science.
- Science 6, Life Science 7, and Physical Science 8 (required)
Course Texts and Materials
- None; all resources are provided within the course.
- Earth Science: Student Edition
ISBN 13: 9781323205877
Starting 2021–2022: Offered in two half-credit semesters.
- 03001 Earth Science I Sem 1 (0.5 cr)
- Full Year, Semester 1 (fall, 18 weeks)
- Fall Block, Semester 1 (early fall, 9 weeks)
- Spring Block, Semester 1 (early spring, 9 weeks)
- 03001 Earth Science I Sem 2 (0.5 cr)
- Full Year, Semester 2 (spring, 18 weeks)
- Fall Block, Semester 2 (late fall, 9 weeks)
- Spring Block, Semester 2 (late spring, 9 weeks)
Note: For Summer Session 2021, this course is offered as a single, 1.0 credit, 6-week course.