In this course students learn about the universe, solar system, stars, planets, and other celestial objects. Students will examine the Earth’s position in the solar system in relation to the sun and moon. The course also explores the planets and other celestial objects in our solar system, as well as stars, constellations, and celestial coordinates. Students also will learn about the tools of astronomy and how light is studied using telescopes.
This course aligns with the Virginia Department of Education’s Science Content Guidelines for Earth Science II: Astronomy.
- Earth Science I (required)
Course Texts and Materials
- All resources are included within the course.
Offered in two half-credit semesters:
- 03004 Earth Science II: Astronomy Sem 1 (0.5 cr)
- Full Year, Semester 1 (fall, 18 weeks)
- Fall Block, Semester 1 (early fall, 9 weeks)
- Spring Block, Semester 1 (early spring, 9 weeks)
- Summer Session, Semester 1 (first 3 weeks)
- 03004 Earth Science II: Astronomy Sem 2 (0.5 cr)
- Full Year, Semester 2 (spring, 18 weeks)
- Fall Block, Semester 2 (late fall, 9 weeks)
- Spring Block, Semester 2 (late spring, 9 weeks)
- Summer Session, Semester 2 (second 3 weeks)