AP Physics 1 covers Newtonian mechanics (including rotational dynamics and angular momentum); work, energy, and power; and mechanical waves and sound. The course also introduces students to electric circuits. AP Physics 1 is equivalent to a first-semester college course in algebra-based physics.
This course aligns with the College Board’s learning goals for AP Physics 1: Algebra-Based.
- Geometry (required)
- Completion of or concurrent enrollment in Algebra II (required)
Course Texts and Materials
- College Physics for AP Courses (free ebook)
- An AP exam study guide (e.g., 5 Steps to a 5, Essentials)
Starting 2021–2022: Offered in two half-credit semesters.
- 03165 AP Physics 1 Sem 1 (0.5 cr)
- Full Year, Semester 1 (fall, 18 weeks)
- Fall Block, Semester 1 (early fall, 9 weeks)
- Spring Block, Semester 1 (early spring, 9 weeks)
- 03165 AP Physics 1 Sem 2 (0.5 cr)
- Full Year, Semester 2 (spring, 18 weeks)
- Fall Block, Semester 2 (late fall, 9 weeks)
- Spring Block, Semester 2 (late spring, 9 weeks)