AP U.S. History is a college-level course that combines learning factual knowledge with developing analytical skills. Emphasis is given to developing interpretive writing skills while assessing historical material according to relevance, reliability, and importance by weighing the evidence presented in historical scholarship. Heavy emphasis is given to essay writing and developing superior writing skills. The course includes materials and assignments ranging from discovery and settlement to present-day America, focusing on political, economic, diplomatic, and social history.
This course aligns with the College Board’s learning goals for AP United States History.
- World History & Geography (recommended)
Course Texts and Materials
- U.S. History (free ebook)
- An AP exam study guide (e.g., Barron’s, Princeton Review, Crash Course, 5 Steps to a 5)
Starting 2021–2022: Offered in two half-credit semesters.
- 04104 AP U.S. History Sem 1 (0.5 cr)
- Full Year, Semester 1 (fall, 18 weeks)
- Fall Block, Semester 1 (early fall, 9 weeks)
- Spring Block, Semester 1 (early spring, 9 weeks)
- 04104 AP U.S. History Sem 2 (0.5 cr)
- Full Year, Semester 2 (spring, 18 weeks)
- Fall Block, Semester 2 (late fall, 9 weeks)
- Spring Block, Semester 2 (late spring, 9 weeks)