Students will assess their health-related fitness status and set reasonable and appropriate goals for development and improvement. Students will understand health issues and the relationship between choices and consequences. The course covers body systems, nutrition, physical health, disease prevention, health promotion, substance abuse prevention, safety, injury prevention, mental wellness, social and emotional skills, violence prevention, and community and environmental health.
Course Texts and Materials
- If a coach or fitness instructor is not available to verify physical activity, the student will need access to one of the following as proof of physical activity completion:
- Apple Watch
- Garmin Heart Rate Monitor
- A smartphone app like Strava or Pacer
Starting 2021–2022: Offered in two half-credit semesters.
- 08110 Health & PE 6 Sem 1 (0.5 cr)
- Full Year, Semester 1 (fall, 18 weeks)
- Fall Block, Semester 1 (early fall, 9 weeks)
- Spring Block, Semester 1 (early spring, 9 weeks)
- 08110 Health & PE 6 Sem 2 (0.5 cr)
- Full Year, Semester 2 (spring, 18 weeks)
- Fall Block, Semester 2 (late fall, 9 weeks)
- Spring Block, Semester 2 (late spring, 9 weeks)
Note: For Summer Session 2021, this course is offered as a single, 1.0 credit, 6-week course.