This course introduces students to the Spanish language and Spanish-speaking cultures throughout the world. Primary emphasis is given to the development of basic interpretive, interpersonal, and presentational language skills. Students practice listening, reading, speaking, and writing based on everyday patterns. Topics of study include greetings and introductions, personal descriptions, family, weather, holidays, sports and activities, school, and daily life.
This course aligns with the Virginia Standards of Learning for Spanish.
Course Texts and Materials
- None; all resources are provided within the course.
- A Spanish–English dictionary
Offered in two half-credit semesters:
- 24052 Spanish I Sem 1 (0.5 cr)
- Full Year, Semester 1 (fall, 18 weeks)
- Fall Block, Semester 1 (early fall, 9 weeks)
- Spring Block, Semester 1 (early spring, 9 weeks)
- Summer Session, Semester 1 (first 3 weeks)
- 24052 Spanish I Sem 2 (0.5 cr)
- Full Year, Semester 2 (spring, 18 weeks)
- Fall Block, Semester 2 (late fall, 9 weeks)
- Spring Block, Semester 2 (late spring, 9 weeks)
- Summer Session, Semester 2 (second 3 weeks)