The AP Spanish Literature & Culture course uses a thematic approach to introduce students to representative texts (short stories, novels, poetry, and essays) from Peninsular Spanish, Latin American, and United States Hispanic literature. Students continue to develop proficiencies across the full range of the interpretive, interpersonal, and presentational modes of communication, honing their critical reading and analytical writing skills. Literature is examined within the context of its time and place, as students reflect on the many voices and cultures present in the required readings. The course also includes a strong focus on cultural connections and comparisons, including exploration of various media (e.g., art, film, articles, and literary criticism). By the end of the course, students will be able to read, analyze, and discuss literature from a variety of historical periods and regions. Instruction and written and verbal communication will be conducted almost exclusively in Spanish. This course is comparable to a high intermediate or advanced low-level Spanish-language college course.
This course aligns with the College Board’s learning goals for AP Spanish Literature and Culture.
- Spanish I, Spanish II, Spanish III, and Spanish IV (required)
- AP Spanish Language & Culture (strongly recommended)
- Native speakers of Spanish and advanced students who have completed Spanish III may be assessed for placement.
Course Texts and Materials
- None; all resources are provided within the course.
- A Spanish–English dictionary
- Although all texts are provided within the course, print copies are recommended for the following lengthy texts:
- Don Quijote by Miguel de Cervantes
- La casa de Bernarda Alba by Federico García Lorca
- San Manuel Bueno, Mártir by Miguel de Unamuno
Starting 2021–2022: Offered in two half-credit semesters.
- 24065 AP Spanish Literature & Culture Sem 1 (0.5 cr)
- Full Year, Semester 1 (fall, 18 weeks)
- Fall Block, Semester 1 (early fall, 9 weeks)
- Spring Block, Semester 1 (early spring, 9 weeks)
- 24065 AP Spanish Literature & Culture Sem 2 (0.5 cr)
- Full Year, Semester 2 (spring, 18 weeks)
- Fall Block, Semester 2 (late fall, 9 weeks)
- Spring Block, Semester 2 (late spring, 9 weeks)