Latin I is an introduction to the language, culture, and history of the Ancient Romans. The course focuses on Latin grammar, vocabulary, and translation with minimal focus on history, culture, and pronunciation. Latin I offers students a unique opportunity to appreciate the continued influence of the Roman world on our culture, language, history, and government.
This course aligns with the Virginia Standards of Learning for Latin.
- Strong background in English grammar (recommended)
Course Texts and Materials
- All resources are provided within the course.
Starting 2021–2022: Offered in two half-credit semesters.
- 24342 Latin I Sem 1 (0.5 cr)
- Full Year, Semester 1 (fall, 18 weeks)
- Fall Block, Semester 1 (early fall, 9 weeks)
- Spring Block, Semester 1 (early spring, 9 weeks)
- 24342 Latin I Sem 2 (0.5 cr)
- Full Year, Semester 2 (spring, 18 weeks)
- Fall Block, Semester 2 (late fall, 9 weeks)
- Spring Block, Semester 2 (late spring, 9 weeks)
Note: For Summer Session 2021, this course is offered as a single, 1.0 credit, 6-week course.