Latin IV is an advanced course in Latin. The course covers the Latin authors Livy, Vergil, and Catullus and the poetic work The Aeneid. Topics include reading and comprehension of original Latin works, grammar, literary devices, rhetorical devices, and scansion.
This course aligns with the Virginia Standards of Learning for Latin.
- Latin I, Latin II, and Latin III (required, with course grades of C or higher in each course recommended)
Course Texts and Materials
- None; all resources are provided within the course.
- The Bantam New College Latin & English Dictionary (English and Latin Edition)
Offered in two half-credit semesters:
- 24345 Latin IV Sem 1 (0.5 cr)
- Full Year, Semester 1 (fall, 18 weeks)
- Fall Block, Semester 1 (early fall, 9 weeks)
- Spring Block, Semester 1 (early spring, 9 weeks)
- Summer Session, Semester 1 (first 3 weeks)
- 24345 Latin IV Sem 2 (0.5 cr)
- Full Year, Semester 2 (spring, 18 weeks)
- Fall Block, Semester 2 (late fall, 9 weeks)
- Spring Block, Semester 2 (late spring, 9 weeks)
- Summer Session, Semester 2 (second 3 weeks)