In AP Latin, students develop the ability to read, translate, understand, analyze, and interpret Vergil’s Aeneid and Caesar’s Gallic War. Additionally, students explore the historical, social, cultural, and political context of Vergil’s Aeneid and Caesar’s Gallic War and examine sight passages from other Roman authors. Students should be prepared for an extensive amount of translation in this course, ranging from 150–250 lines of Latin per week. Instruction and written and verbal communication will be conducted almost exclusively in Latin.
This course aligns with the College Board’s learning goals for AP Latin.
- Latin I, Latin II, Latin III, and Latin IV (required)
- Advanced students who have completed Latin III may be assessed for placement.
Course Texts and Materials
- A Song of War: Readings from Vergil’s Aeneid (Updated Edition)
ISBN: 9780133205206 or 9780133266757
- Caesar & Vergil AP Vocabulary Cards
Publisher: Bolchazy-Carducci Publishers
- One of the following English-only translations of The Aeneid:
- Fagles, ISBN: 978-0143105138
- Fitzgerald, ISBN: 978-0679729525
- Lombardo, ISBN: 978-0872207318
- Mandelbaum, ISBN: 978-0553210415
- One of the following English-only translations of Caesar’s Gallic War:
- Hirtius, ISBN: 978-0199540266
- Macdevitt, ISBN: 978-1604597622
- College Caesar: Latin Text with facing Vocabulary and Commentary
Publisher: Geoffrey Steadman
Starting 2021–2022: Offered in two half-credit semesters.
- 24355 AP Latin Sem 1 (0.5 cr)
- Full Year, Semester 1 (fall, 18 weeks)
- Fall Block, Semester 1 (early fall, 9 weeks)
- Spring Block, Semester 1 (early spring, 9 weeks)
- 24355 AP Latin Sem 2 (0.5 cr)
- Full Year, Semester 2 (spring, 18 weeks)
- Fall Block, Semester 2 (late fall, 9 weeks)
- Spring Block, Semester 2 (late spring, 9 weeks)