This course is an introduction to the Arabic language for students with no prior knowledge of the language. Students acquire the communication skills for speaking, reading, writing, and comprehending Arabic. This course focuses on helping students understand general meaning, starting with the alphabet and essential letter sounds and formations. Students will be able to write short sentences and speak and comprehend in Arabic by the conclusion of the course. Students will also begin to explore Arabic culture.
This course aligns with the Virginia Standards of Learning for Modern Non-Roman Alphabet Languages.
Course Texts and Materials
- All resources are provided within the course.
Offered in two half-credit semesters:
- 24752 Arabic I Sem 1 (0.5 cr)
- Full Year, Semester 1 (fall, 18 weeks)
- Summer Session, Semester 1 (first 3 weeks)
- 24752 Arabic I Sem 2 (0.5 cr)
- Full Year, Semester 2 (spring, 18 weeks)
- Summer Session, Semester 2 (second 3 weeks)