Local school mentors work one-on-one with Virtual Virginia students and teachers to help facilitate the success of Virtual Virginia courses. Mentors provide instrumental support for Virtual Virginia students.
VVA Mentors are responsible for:
- Monitoring student progress and needs through daily contact with students taking Virtual Virginia courses
- Monitoring classroom activities and progress of students taking Virtual Virginia classes within the school
- Serving as a liaison between the student, the school and Virtual Virginia instructors and supervisors regarding student performance and progress
- Proctoring tests and examinations on school grounds
- Collecting student forms required by Virtual Virginia
- Working with the local technology staff to ensure that all students have access to the appropriate technology
- Retrieving and providing the school with student grades on locally designated dates. Grades are obtained through the online grade book
- Notifying counselors immediately of any students’ intent to withdraw from Virtual Virginia courses. Students must continue to submit work until withdrawal is processed or the grade may be negatively affected.
The Mentor Handbook (PDF) provides quick access to answers for many of the questions mentors may have about Virtual Virginia policies, procedures, and specific programs and courses. We ask that mentors review the handbook and keep a copy for reference as the year progresses.
Handbook contents include:
- Program and course policies and procedures
- An outline of a mentor’s role and responsibilities