Field of Study
Advanced Placement Government and Politics is designed to present students with an analytical perspective of government and politics in the United States, tracing the history, development, and nature of US governmental institutions and processes, as well as societal perspectives and behaviors related to such institutions and processes (and influences on those perspectives and behaviors.)
The course involves both the study of general concepts used to interpret U.S. politics and the analysis of specific case studies. The course will include the various institutions, groups, beliefs and ideas that constitute U.S. political reality. As such, it will cover these basic areas:
- Module 1: Constitutional Basis
- Module 2: Political Beliefs and Behaviors. Political Parties, Interest Groups, and Mass Media
- Module 3: Institutions of National Government
- Module 4: Public Policy
- Module 5: Civil Rights and Civil Liberties
Students will complete a variety of homework assignments including vocabulary and required readings for each module. They will participate in discussion boards. Work related to each module and chapter of the textbook contains study guides and a culminating quiz or exam, as well as written responses to Free Response Questions. This course contains a mix of writing, multiple choice, and other assignments.
Students are expected to complete assignments on time by the dates listed in the course calendar.
At the conclusion of the course, students will be prepared to take the Advanced Placement AP US Government and Politics Exam, and are expected but not required to do so.
- Enrolled in grades 9-12 (required)
- Successful completion of World History and World Geography (recommended)
Course Texts and Materials
- Government by The People with AP Test Prep Bundle by Magleby, 25th edition
The 24th edition of the textbook is also acceptable, but the 25th is recommended.
- There is also an ebook that is acceptable – contact your textbook representative for details.
- The Lanahan Readings in the American Polity edited by Ann Serow & Everett C. Ladd, 4th edition
ISBN – 9781930398092
- Any major AP US Government and Politics test prep book (Princeton Review’s Cracking the AP US Government and Politics Exam, The Ultimate Student’s Guide to AP US Government and Politics, Barron’s AP US Government and Politics Exam, etc.).