Field of Study
This course is focused on building mathematical understanding. Students are required to understand the underlying reasons behind the necessary procedures and skills required to solve diverse types of problems. This course is designed to develop mathematical knowledge conceptually, allowing students to connect topics and representations throughout the course. AP Calculus BC is roughly equivalent to both first-semester and second-semester college calculus courses. According to the College Board, this course is intended to be challenging and demanding.
AP Calculus BC is organized around the following big ideas, which correspond to foundational concepts of calculus: limits, derivatives, integrals, the fundamental theorem of calculus, different types of equations (polar, parametric, vector-valued), and sequences and series.
Students will complete a variety of assignments, including discussion board assignments in which they will be expected to communicate mathematically using correct mathematical notation.
At the conclusion of the course, students will be prepared to take the AP Calculus AB Exam and are expected (but not required) to do so.
- Required: Successful completion of the equivalent of four years of secondary mathematics courses designed for college-bound students. These courses should have a strong foundation in reasoning with algebraic symbols and working with algebraic structures and cover algebra, geometry, trigonometry, analytic geometry, and elementary functions.
- Students who take AP Calculus BC should have basic familiarity with sequences and series, as well as some exposure to polar equations.
Course Texts and Materials
- Calculus for AP, 2017
Authors: Larson, R., & Battaglia, P.
Publisher: Cengage Learning
- Graphing calculator (TI 83/84 or TI Nspire)
- WebAssign Instant Access K12 Calculus for AP®, 1st edition
- Authors: Larson/Battaglia
- 1st Edition K12 ©2017 9781337940320
- WebAssign is a customizable online instructional system that provides extensive content and instant assessment.
- To purchase:
- By phone: Call Cengage customer service at 800-354-9706 and reference VVA case number 02744711.
- By purchase order: Email email@example.com with PO and reference VVA case number 02744711.
- Students must submit a parent release permission form to the VVA instructor before enrolling in WebAssign.