Field of Study
The AP Spanish Language and Culture course is comparable to a high intermediate or advanced low-level college or university Spanish language course.
Emphasizing the use of Spanish for active communication in real life tasks, this course focuses on developing students´ abilities in the three modes of communication (Interpretive, Interpersonal, and Presentational) and strengthening cultural competencies through theme-based instruction. Students will be exposed to a variety of authentic resources, such as: newspapers, magazines, podcasts, blogs, advertisements, television programs, films, music, video clips, and literature. Grammar and vocabulary are developed through contextualized study.
By the end of the course, students will have an expansive vocabulary and a solid, working knowledge of all verb forms and tenses. This course prepares students for the Advanced Placement Exam and for further study of Spanish language, culture, or literature.
Students will be expected to log into the course daily and complete a variety of practice activities in Spanish. Students will actively participate in written, audio and video discussion boards.
Students will have regular, graded speaking assignments both live with their instructor as well as recorded within the course. Students must be able to contact their instructor for these assessments on a regular basis via live class sessions or phone.
We are a deadline-driven course and students are expected to complete assignments by the due dates posted in their course Calendar. Students should study vocabulary on a daily basis for 10-15 minutes and can expect to work 10-12 hours per week on the course, including work outside the school day.
- Successful completion of Spanish I, Spanish II, Spanish III is required.
- The successful completion of Spanish IV is highly recommended.
- Native speakers of Spanish and advanced students upon completion of Spanish III can be assessed for placement.
- Students must have a strong knowledge of grammar and vocabulary as well as good listening, speaking, reading and writing skills. Instruction and written and verbal communication will be conducted almost exclusively in Spanish.
Course Texts and Materials
- A Spanish-English dictionary
- AP Spanish Preparing for the Language Examination Fourth Edition Student Edition with 1yr license to digital content
ISBN10: 0133239004 ISBN13: 978-013323900