Field of Study
In the Chinese IV course, students continue to develop and refine their proficiency in all four language skills – listening, speaking, reading, and writing – with an emphasis on their ability to interact orally and in writing.
Students will gain a deeper understanding of the world around them while studying Beijing, facets of China’s traditional culture, social life, hobbies, the environment, work and college, while some familiar themes and topics from Chinese I, Chinese II, and Chinese III may reoccur to be studied in more depth.
Students will learn to communicate using more complex language structures on a variety of topics, focusing on abstract concepts. Students will complete a variety of assessments including self-checks, multiple choice and short answer questions, Chinese to English translation, Chinese writing assignments, projects, interviews, oral assessments and discussions. Students are expected to study vocabulary on a daily basis for 20-30 minutes and can expect to work 6-10 hours per week on the course, including work outside the school day.
- Students need access to a microphone and a headset in order to complete required listening and speaking activities in the course.
- Students need access to a scanner or a camera and be able to upload images to the course website to complete writing assignments.
- Internet access outside of school is necessary for most students to complete the work each week. Work at home is allowed and encouraged. If home internet is not available, libraries or alternate locations are needed for work completed outside of school.
The Chinese IV course satisfies the graduation requirements for an Advanced Studies diploma.
- Successful completion of Chinese I, Chinese II, and Chinese III (required)
- Course grades of “B” or above in Chinese III are strongly advised.
- It is highly recommended that students have a strong knowledge of grammar and vocabulary as well as good listening, speaking, reading and writing skills.
Course Texts and Materials
- Learn Chinese with Me 4: Student’s Book with 2 CD’s
- Learn Chinese with Me 4: Student: Workbook