Field of Study
Health and Physical Education 9 is designed to provide the student with the necessary skills and knowledge to assist the student in creating a healthy lifestyle for the individual, the family, and the community.
Throughout the course, students will actively participate in and track their physical activity in combination with completing lessons and assignments.
As a result of this course, the student should be able to:
- Apply health knowledge and skills to achieve and maintain long-term health and wellness.
- Explain the impact of health risks and identify strategies and resources to limit risk.
- Demonstrate skills to advocate for personal and community health.
- Perform basic movement skills and demonstrate competence in at least two self-selected, lifetime, skill-related physical activities
- Demonstrate achievement and maintenance of a health-enhancing level of personal fitness by designing, implementing and modifying a personal fitness program.
- Participate in school and community health-enhancing physical activities that provide opportunities for challenge and social interaction.
Assignments include various health assignments, discussion boards, quizzes and physical activity logs.
Students are expected to login to the course and check email daily. Students will complete various assignments throughout the course that support the Standards of Learning for Health and Physical Education 9.
- ESSENTIAL HEALTH CONCEPTS: Demonstrate the knowledge and skills to make healthy decisions that reduce health risks and enhance the health of self and others.
- HEALTHY DECISIONS: Demonstrate the ability to access, evaluate, and use health information, products, and services that influence health and wellness in a positive manner.
- ADVOCACY & HEALTH PROMOTION: Demonstrate the use of appropriate health practices and behaviors to promote a safe & healthy community when alone, with family, at school, and in other group settings.
- SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT:Demonstrate the aptitude, attitude, and skills to lead responsible, fulfilling, and respectful lives.
- ENERGY BALANCE:Explain the importance of energy balance and nutritional needs of the body to maintain optimal health and prevent chronic disease.
Students are required to obtain 60 hours of physical activity in this course.
The physical activity is to be completed just as you would if you were completing the class as part of an instructional day in a brick-and-mortar building.
Students will be required to provide proof of physical activity with their fitness log. Parent signatures will not be accepted as proof of physical activity.
Course Texts and Materials
- No textbook is needed
- The student will need access to a Fitbit, Jawbone Up, Heart Rate Monitor, Nintendo Wii, or Cell Phone app such as MapMyWalk, MapMyRun, or MyFitnessPal to be used as proof of physical activity completion.