The Virtual Virginia Outreach Program is expanding to provide all Virginia public school divisions with a platform that gives students and teachers online access to instructional content at no cost to each division (Supts Memo 093-20 [.docx]).
Each school division that chooses to utilize Virtual Virginia’s Outreach Program Expansion will be able to integrate its local school division student information system (SIS) with the Virtual Virginia learning management system (LMS). This integration will give each division access to its own instance of the VVA LMS and allow for division customization. Each division also will gain access to Virtual Virginia’s K–12 online learning modules and instructional resources. Divisions will have the autonomy to use and edit VVA content, import division digital learning resources, and create/distribute division content within the LMS. Once integrated, public school divisions will also have the ability to share content with each other, and the existing resources available through #GoOpenVA can be easily imported into the LMS.
For the Outreach Program Expansion, Virtual Virginia can provide the following:
- A solution to provide scaled online content delivery to a school division’s students by that division’s teachers
- A Learning Management System (LMS) platform
- Onboarding for schools, teachers, and students
- K–12 online learning modules
- Tiered support for administrators, school counselors, educators, students, and parents/guardians
Participating division benefits include the following:
- K-12 online learning modules, which feature fully developed lessons and a selection of teacher-graded assignments
- Local teacher autonomy to use, modify, and develop modules from the provided learning resources to address missing content or provide new instruction
- Local school teachers are enrolled in a statewide professional learning network (PLN) of Virginia educators and may participate in workshops and statewide training
If your division is interested in the VVA Outreach Program Expansion, please complete the VVA Outreach Program Expansion Interest Form. For questions, please contact the VVA Main Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 866-650-0025.
Virtual Virginia, the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE), and the Virginia Society for Technology in Education (VSTE) will offer training and support for the teachers and staff of divisions that participate in the Outreach Program Expansion. Professional learning and support will be available via webinars, workshops, training modules, tip sheets, a dedicated division hotline, and chat support. Divisions may request specialized training as well.
VVA’s partnership with the VDOE and VSTE expands the existing VVA PLN to ensure Virginia public school division educators and tech support personnel have the short- and long-term capacity and skills to meet the needs of online learning and collectively build new skills and embrace a shift in pedagogy. The expanded PLN will include regional user groups, a series of webinars, workshops, virtual conferences, and advocacy opportunities for division staff.
The PLN will continue throughout the 2020–2021 academic year.
Training meetings will be held on Wednesdays at 11 a.m. from May 27 through July 29. The first four webinars take a general approach focused on the various stakeholders. Current Virtual Virginia users will participate, offering tips and techniques for getting divisions up and running.
- Wednesday, May 27, 2020: General Overview of Virtual Virginia and Learning Management Systems
(Audience: All potential users)
- Wednesday, June 3, 2020: Leading Virtual Virginia at the Division Level
(Audience: Division-level leaders)
- Wednesday, June 10, 2020: Supporting Virtual Virginia in the School
(Audience: School-level leaders and technology coaches)
- Wednesday, June 17, 2020: Teaching with Virtual Virginia
(Audience: Technology coaches and Teachers)
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
Later webinars will focus on specific ways to use Virtual Virginia both in and out of the classroom. Additional professional development will be announced in early June.