June 17—July 28, 2020
Course Enrollment: April 1—June 17
Orientation Webinar Recording
Watch the recording of the Summer Session 2020 Orientation Webinar, originally held June 15, 2020.
Summer Session Handbooks
Summer Session handbooks for students, parents/guardians, counselors, and mentors are available at the links listed below.
- Student & Parent/Guardian Handbook, Summer Session 2020 (PDF)
- Counselor Handbook, Summer Session 2020 (PDF)
- Mentor Handbook, Summer Session 2020 (PDF)
About Summer Session 2020
Virtual Virginia is offering 52 online courses for Summer Session 2020, including core, world language, and elective courses. Enrollment for Summer Session 2020 begins April 1 and ends June 17.
Summer Session 2020 courses begin Wednesday, June 17, and end Tuesday, July 28.
The Summer Session 2020 enrollment fee for all students is $375 per student, per course. Enrollment fees must be paid at the time of course registration and must be made using a Visa, MasterCard, or Discover card.
If a student’s enrollment fee is not paid by Friday, June 19, at 10 a.m., the student will be dropped from the course(s).
If a course is dropped before 3 p.m. on Wednesday, June 24, a refund may be requested by following the instructions on the Summer Session refund information page.
- Note: You cannot request a refund until the student has been officially withdrawn from the course by the enrolling local school counselor.
- No refund will be given if a course is dropped after 3 p.m. on Wednesday, June 24.
To enroll in a Virtual Virginia course, the local school must agree to award the assigned credit for the course. If the course includes a relevant end-of-course Standards of Learning (SOL) test, the local school will administer the assessment and award verified credit. Credit is posted to the student’s transcript by the student’s middle or high school.
Homeschooled students may also register for VVA Summer Session courses. The home school counselor of record (who may be the parent/guardian) may enroll the student, and the parent/guardian is responsible for payment of all fees associated with the course.
In order to be offered, all Summer Session courses are subject to minimum enrollments.
Students working outside the local school setting must be aware of the need to access equipment that meets the minimum requirements as specified by Virtual Virginia. These requirements are detailed in the Virtual Virginia Technology Handbook and are organized into general course requirements and technical requirements specific to individual courses.
Please note that while mentor assignments are still required for Summer Session students, the school may designate a parent/guardian to be the mentor at their discretion. Parents serving as mentors must be entered into the Genius registration system by the school counselor prior to registration.
Summer Session 2020 Course Offerings
- 01104 Creative Writing
- 01001 English 9
- 01002 English 10
- 01003 English 11
- 01004 English 12
- 01053 World Mythology*
Health & Physical Education
History & Social Sciences
- 04249 Economics (0.5 credit)*
- 19262 Economics and Personal Finance
- 19262 / 6121 Personal Finance (0.5 credit)
- 04254 Psychology
- 04151 Virginia & U.S. Government
- 04101 Virginia & U.S. History
- 04052 World History & Geography to 1500 A.D.
- 04053 World History & Geography: 1500 A.D. to the Present
- 02052 Algebra I*
- 02056 Algebra II
- 02902 Algebra, Functions, and Data Analysis
- 02072 Geometry*
- 02104 Pre-Calculus/Mathematical Analysis
- 02103 Trigonometry (0.5 credit)
- 03051 Biology I
- 03063 Biology II: Ecology
- 03101 Chemistry I
- 03102 Chemistry II
- 03001 Earth Science I*
- 03004 Earth Science II: Astronomy
- 03005 Earth Science II: Oceanography
- 03151 Physics I
- 24852 American Sign Language I*
- 24752 Arabic I*
- 24753 Arabic II*
- 24754 Arabic III
- 24402 Chinese I*
- 24403 Chinese II*
- 24404 Chinese III
- 24405 Chinese IV
- 24102 French I*
- 24103 French II*
- 24104 French III
- 24105 French IV
- 24342 Latin I*
- 24343 Latin II*
- 24344 Latin III
- 24345 Latin IV
- 24052 Spanish I*
- 24053 Spanish II*
- 24054 Spanish III
- 24055 Spanish IV
* Course is available to middle school students who have met prerequisite requirements.
The Virtual Virginia Technology Support Help Desk will be available during the Summer Session from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday. The Technology Support Help Desk may be reached by email at email@example.com or by phone at 866-650-0027.
More information about Summer Session can be found in our FAQs. If you have other general questions about Virtual Virginia Summer Session, please contact the Main Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 866-650-0025.